21 January 2010

E MAIS BRIAN ENO: ABBA


"In the 70s, no one would admit that they liked Abba. Now it's fine. It's so kitsch. Kitsch is an excuse to defend the fact that they feel a common emotion. If it is kitsch, you put a sort of frame around something – to suggest you are being ironic. Actually, you aren't. You are really enjoying it. I like Abba. I did then and I didn't admit it. The snobbery of the time wouldn't allow it. I did admit it when I heard 'Fernando'; I could not bear to keep the secret to myself anymore and also because I think there is a difference between Swedish sentimentality and LA sentimentality because the Swedish are so restrained emotionally. When they get sentimental it's rather sweet and charming. What we really got me with 'Fernando' was what the lower singer was doing, I don't know her name. I spent months trying to learn that. It's so obscure what she's doing and very hard to sing. And then from being a sceptic I went over the top in the other direction. I really fell for them"

(2010)

2 comments:

Táxi Pluvioso said...

A loira era papável, o resto, é lixo sueco, que venha o Volvo.

RL said...

Como prometido (mas com chá de limão e não de camomila), procedi a experiência no qual fui cobaia: (re)ouvi os Abba, para já só na sugerida "Fernando" (para Chiquitita tenho que ganhar imensa coragem e fingir que já me esqueci da melodia e do próprio nome "Chiquitita"...).
O resultado preliminar da experiência (carece de repetição noutras condições), with all due respect for other opinions, revelou que permaneço snob... (não digo que os coros não sejam bem engendrados, mas inclino-me bem mais para uns Free Design, """"no género"""").
Claro que pode estar a dar-se o caso de estar a ouvir o "comercial" deles e não o "oculto" no resto dos LPs; dou o benefício da dúvida, porque é um facto que nunca um LP deles passou pelas minhas agulhas, limito-me a ouvir e a julgar o que passava na then black & white RTP e rádios (e que nunca me levou a procurar um disco deles...).
Tentarei em seguida com cidreira e camomila, antes de passar aos cogumelos! :)